Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Funk Busters


It has been a very long, very angry day, the workday part of which is wrapping up only now, at 12:30. AM. 12:30 PM would be fine with me, for the record. So to cheer myself up, and possibly you by extension, here are some items I can count on to lift me out of this long-workday funk.
  1. Stella Layla, my dog.  She is awesome.  She has hopped up next to the keyboard to assuage my anger.  Dogs are awesome.  Of course, not other people's.  Just mine, my parents' and my neighbor Gail's.  Oh, and yours, I guess yours is awesome (if you say so). 
  2. Brian Williams.  He really deserves an entire entry - nay, an entire blog.  Every day a bit more of his brilliance is revealed.  For evidence of said brilliance, just watch this video of Williams proposing that the number one news story of 2010 was the New York Times's discovery of Brooklyn. He uses the phrase "flash artisanal market," people! He compares Brooklyn to Marakesh. Somewhere I read that millennials are puzzled why this comedian hosts a straight news show.  I am too lazy to figure out where I read that and would you really click on the link anyway?
  3. Tina Fey.  Thirty Rock in particular, which really is what pulled me out of my funk tonight, but pretty much the mere existence of Tina Fey (and her book that I have read at least 3 times and quoted a thousand times more, bringing my quotes to a total of 1003) is enough to make me think it is possible to get up tomorrow and complete yet another status report. Which brings me to...
  4. Chandler's WENUS report.  Every day I work on another one of these urgent forecasts, giving up my evenings (in exchange for a fair dose of additional bitchiness), I am thinking in my head that I am Chandler, concerned that his WENUS is out of wack. That's Miss Chanandler Bong, to you.  And I guess I am just thankful for Friends in general. Monica's head in a turkey, in particular. 
  5. Look at the list above and, with the exception of Stella, everything is TV.  I am not ashamed, though, of my great love of TV.  I am proud to love TV. Can I get that on a t-shirt? Or maybe just "TV Lover" or "TV is for Lovers."  Did I mention I am tired?  I am proud that I have named my tv and refer to it by its initials.  Proud that I have multiple dvrs, dvd players, and ipads on which I watch tv shows.  Proud that, as a mere toddler, my younger daughter could recognize Lorelai Gilmore at 20 paces.  Ok, maybe I should be embarrassed, but apparently I am proud. I am less proud of the time that same year she tightly gripped a picture of Jessica Simpson the entire trip from Dallas to NYC, lisping "Jethica" the whole time.
Funk is lifted.  Thank you TVLS and SLLS.

No comments:

Post a Comment